Monday, August 13, 2012

How NOT To Make Sparkler Messages

Nicole and I spent an awesome weekend with friends in the Poconos in Pennsylvania. There were many firsts, my first trip to our friend Kellys beautiful lake house, my first campfire smore, and my favorite of all was my experience with sparklers. Its amazing how much fun you can have with friends, at night, after a few cocktails, playing with handheld fireworks..  

You can create really great shapes when you move the sparklers in a quick motion, shapes such as hearts, circles, letter, etc. I remember seeing some amazing photos on Pinterest where people made "sparkler messages" by setting the camera shutter speed settings a certain way while people spelled out letters. It just so happened that Kelly had her fancy Canon Rebel camera with her at the time, so we decided we would spell out the name "MACI" (our friends 2 year old baby) and give it to her as a gift on her wedding day when she was old enough. Each person was in charge of a letter and the extra people were assigned a "heart" shape. So, here is a group of semi-drunk people, excited to capture this moment on camera, we were so excited we practiced this about 20 times before taking the official photo. We were so proud of ourselves, until we looked at the photos the next day with sober eyes.

The first picture is the "inspiration" photo we found on Pinterest,
the second photo is our attempt at the making our own sparkler message.

This was the best photo out of the bunch..

I wish I had found this "how to" post the night we attempted doing this, explaining how to properly set the camera.. 


1.Use a tripod
2.Set camera mode to M (manual)
3.Set f/stop to f5.6
4.Set shutter speed to 4" (4 seconds) or slower (make the shutter speed faster for more defined words)
5.Set white balance to Tungsten

6.Make sure everyone writes their letters backwards!

I die laughing every time I look at our ridiculous photos, 
I still vote we print this, frame it and give it to baby Maci.