Sunday, November 20, 2011

THANKSGIVING TABLESCAPE: A TWIST ON THE TYPICAL PLAID

Thanksgiving is just around the corner and incase any of you hosting this year are not sure about dressing the table yet, I have an idea up my sleeve. 
I'm always trying to think about how I can make something typical and ordinary a little bit edgier and more interesting, yet still classy. So I thought about good old PLAID. Immediately I think about an LL Bean catalog with a beautiful blonde couple in matching red and green plaid shirts frolicking with their labrador retrievers. Cute, but not so interesting year in and year out.  


Searching through pinterest I found the perfect example from The Studiolo Blog
Sudiolo got it right using navy plaid tablecloth with vintage china, metallic accents, and seasonal orange and red florals. Still understated but definitely still different.

Of course if you want to get a little crazy, you can mimic a plaid pattern using ribbon instead! Weave a selection of different size and colored ribbon down your table runner for the same plaid effect.

This image below, from Lonny Mag, is another classic twist on a typical textile, the check. Simple blue and white fabric grounds the table for pops of gold, orange, and blue. A crystal chandelier never hurts either. I'm also loving how they draped the napkin over the side of the table instead of on the plate.

Feeling rustic? try an old piece of barn wood as a runner.

Use unexpected fall color combos....

Taking cues from all the inspirational photos above I've created my own tablescape. 
1. DIY glitter pumpkins notify where my guests will be sitting
2. salt & pepper shakers
4. Striped Autumn napkins (because plaid and stripes always work well together)
5. Plaid fringe tablecloth
6. Plaid painted pumpkins

Always mix and match, its so much more fun and unexpected!


And to conclude, I had to share Giada DeLaurentis's Thanksgiving recipes with you because I might have actually drooled during that episode...




HAPPY TURKEY DAY EVERYONE!!!!